This is OUR planet
Relentlessly improving our sustainability, resourcefulness and efficiency for the greater good of our employees and guests.
We’re on a journey to becoming the first Net Zero bar company before 2030 because we see this as an effective method of doing the right thing. We continue to drive sustainability into the hearts of all our people, reminding teams to do their part, whether that is turning off the lights or recycling. But we also have a team of dedicated Zero Heroes across all our bars and centrally who focus on driving sustainable and green methods throughout the whole business.
Our efforts have been recognised through a number of sustainability award wins and nominations but our journey is far from over.
We have adopted six key principles as part of our Sustainability Strategy which guide our approach:
- Make sustainability central to everything we do by adopting a sustainability mindset throughout the business
- Take proactive action by implementing changes to our business to reduce our impact on the environment
- Engage with and report to our key stakeholders (our people, shareholders, suppliers, guests, industry)
- Become efficient by design (including buildings, refurbishments and menus)
- Renew our approach/technology where required to address the sustainability challenge
- Rebalance our impact where the other actions taken do not address it sufficiently
We have two headline commitments in relation to emissions reduction in our Sustainability Strategy
- To achieve carbon neutral status by the end of the decade and commit to a Science Based Target as soon as practicable
- To reduce our carbon intensity by 40% by 2030
Timeline so far
- 2017 we engaged with net zero sustainability consultants, Energise, to help us map out our sustainability journey, initially advising on energy efficiency. This ongoing partnership has delivered a 32% reduction in energy to date.
- 2018 we removed all straws and napkins from our bar tops
- 2019 we moved to fully renewable electricity
- March 2020 we outlined our first full carbon reduction strategy
- April 2020 we began developing cocktail menus with sustainability at their core, reducing any unnecessary garnishes and removing items that could not be recycled
- July 2020 we reduced the general waste bin capacity by 30% across our bars and installed organic recycling bins in each venue, where possible, to enhance our recycling efforts and reduce the amount of waste going to landfill
- August 2020 we outlined our first full carbon reduction strategy
- September 2020 we recruited key team members in our bars to be our Zero Heroes; pioneering the change required to becoming more sustainable through reduced energy consumption, recycling and other initiatives
- November 2020 we completed an additional review of recycling efficiencies, and reduced general waste by a further 20%, increasing the number of recycling bins to segregate waste
- May 2021 The Board approved our Net Zero strategy, plus we launched our new fleet of company cars, which are either hybrid or fully-electric
- July 2021 implemented the RBG Sustainability Charter, becoming the UK’s first bar group to commit to Science-Based Targets to achieve Net Zero before 2030
- August 2021 winner of the Gold Level Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice and a founding member of the Zero Carbon Forum
- November 2021 installed a bee hive on the top of our Playhouse bar in Northampton, using the honey on our Pitsford Bee Sting pizza
- December 2021 we removed passionfruit from our Pornstar Martini and Rumtini serves, reducing our carbon footprint by over 100 tonnes of CO2. Any financial savings (approximately £180,000) is being invested back into sustainability projects as part of the Net Zero strategy.
- June 2022 creation of our sustainability blueprint bar at Reading Revolución de Cuba. We are installing new energy efficient equipment and practices to assess how low we can go with energy carbon emissions
- September 2022 winner of the On-Trade Operator of the Year award at the Footprint Drinks Sustainability Awards
- June 2023. Due to our commitment to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions across our operations and supply, we have had our net-zero target assessed and approved by the Science Based Targets initiative. Revolution Bars group is expected to be among the first 100 companies in the UK to have their net zero targets approved and aligned to the 1.5-degree pathway ambition, through the SBTi’s Net-Zero Corporate Standard - the world's first framework for corporate net zero target setting, in line with climate science.
Purchasing & Material Use
Business travel & commuting
Purchasing & Material Use
Business travel & commuting
Compatible with SBT as a near term target (40% by 2030) and long term (90% by 2040). Residual emissions will be neutralised from 2030 onwards.
We are working with key suppliers to improve our supply chain emissions, including ensuring all our menus and point of sale is printed on sustainably sourced paper. As a company, we are targeting ourselves with 3% out of hours energy usage and aiming to deliver at least 70% recycling.
- Net-zero target assessed and approved by the Science Based Targets initiative - June 2023
- On-Trade Operator of the Year award at the Footprint Drinks Sustainability Awards - September 2022
- Sustainability leadership – Zero Carbon Forum - August 2021
- Net Zero before 2030 commitment - July 2021
- Gold Level Green Apple Award - August 2021
- 1st UK Bar group to commit to a science based target - July 2021
- Reducing energy consumption year on year. - 2017